Fedora Developers XO program

David Nalley david.nalley at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 8 03:55:41 UTC 2009

Hi All:

During and shortly after FUDcon I began talking about ways we can
increase participation in the Fedora OLPC SIG and get more
accomplished for OLPC and Sugar.

As geeks we tend to love and drool over esoteric and fascinating
hardware and thus the XO presents itself as a nice carrot for
motivation as well as having practical benefits in the hands of people
working on the project.

The week following FUDcon I suggested to Ed and SJ that they let the
Fedora Ambassadors run the NA Developer XO program for an initial
period of 6 months for a number of reasons:

1. Now their plates are even fuller, and this appears to be way we can
help offload some of that work.
2. The Ambassadors are already in place, going to every major event
and tons of minor events recruiting contributors to Fedora
3. We've had some moderate success getting people involved with both
Fedora and OLPC/Sugar.

They decided to take me up on the offer and shipped 100 XOs to us.

I have set the initial guidelines - but those are subject to the
guidance of this SIG - you guys are already doing the work, so feel
free to give guidance or just change the page located:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_developers_XO_program

Essentially the bar I have arbitrarily set is:

1. Maintain a sugar-* package in Fedora and agree to maintain it for
two releases. Alternately maintain a package that was in OLPC4 and has
been merged.
2. Develop a Sugar activity. To keep this in focus I have adopted
GDK's 'holy list of 4th grade math lessons' as acceptable activities:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/User:Gdk/4th_Grade_Maths
3. QA - well not really - OLPC has already sent ~75 machines out a few
months back for people to do QA on - and we hope that those people
will return to help us, so we aren't actively looking for QA help, but
if someone with extensive QA experience and lots of time presents
itself we won't pass it up.

I really seek your comments and suggestions here - I have 6 months to
prove that the community can handle and succeed at this program, and
really I have a larger of goal of wanting the 'holy list' accomplished
at the end of the 6 months and thus a usable 4th grade math curriculum
available.

Thoughts?? Comments?? Flames??