Meeting status tomorrow: unsure.

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 23:46:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Wicked! This is good work. Now i have a XO next on my list is booting
> rawhide on SD.

Well, now apparently the issues are as Marco describes them here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.laptop.olpc.devel/22270/focus=22303

* console completely screwed up, which makes debugging a pain.
* jffs2 related kernel trace while booting, does not seem to break things.
* Network related kernel panic at the end. Sometimes halt the system,
sometimes it doesn't.
* X does not start for some reason.

So some issues are fixed, but others are cropping up now.

> Well if the boot issues on XO on rawhide are fixed it seems we're there
> in the basics. The question of using a base F-11 in replacement of 9.1.0
> as far as I'm aware comes down to the question of rainbow and the
> associated changes to the boot process
> (kernel/initscript/olpcrd/upstart/dbus) which unfortunately is down to a
> few people that have sufficient understanding to be able to deal with
> that.
>
>> I'm wondering if it might not be the best idea, at this point, to go ahead
>> and start working backwards from rawhide, and see what's busted, and start
>> tracking that in bugzilla.
>
> From my point of view that's sort of what I'm trying to do. I know I
> can't deal with the whole rainbow/kernel stuff but where possible I'm
> tracking/filing bugs testing etc. Compared to where we were at with
> the rebase to F-10 when I first started to get involved I think we're
> alot better off than we were.

Well, we've got about a month until freeze.  It's not hopeless, but I'd
really like to get closer to booting into... something.

cjb: can you make your latest tinderbox image available so that other
people can try to install it as well, and maybe get better insights into
what's busted, exactly?

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]