Help debug latest rawhide images

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 15:05:30 UTC 2009

On Sunday, February 15 2009, Chris Ball said:
> * The DCON detection problem above.  I've solved this by just changing
>   the test to point to a driver that's actually upstream:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-geode/commit/?id=990ff710c6220cc3d1ba6b9e8fb972bd168b4472

Depending on sysfs paths has historically led to trouble, but probably
okay for now at least

> * I eventually worked out that "modprobe msr" is needed before starting
>   the driver on Rawhide -- if you don't, you get a screen full of white
>   snow.  We'll need to get this logic ("if on an xo, do modprobe msr
>   before X starts") into Fedora proper somehow.  Any ideas?

Usually the approach is to have appropriate modaliases.  But msr should
really load/work for basically all x86 hardware.  And we build the
module in on x86_64, so maybe the right thing is just to build it in for
x86 as well.  I'll ask for reasons not to

Jeremy