packaging for native OLPC platform

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Jan 8 14:27:41 UTC 2009

> Can you do a rpm -qa | grep glibc and see if the glibc reports the
> i686 version? I've seen this before with some of the AMD geode
> processors where the build process uses the i686 package as it can run
> fine on this particular AMD processor but in actual fact its an i586
> processor so yum/rpm think there should be the i386 version and hence
> don't see that glibc.i686 needs upgrading but glibc-common being i386
> does but conflicts.

Thank you.  This is indeed what seems to be happening.

[I guess this is one situation where a "smart" tool reaches a
more-difficult-to-use conclusion than a "dumb" human.]

> You can force the upgrade by downloading the rpms
> and using "rpm -Uvh --ignorearch glibc-package-names.rpm"

Tried it for the fun of it but there was something wrong with the
downloaded files.  In any case, OLPC has released a newer-yet build
which I've now installed, instead of fooling with upgrading the old
build.

Thank you for your assistance and explanation,  mikus