Fedora Desktop on XO

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:41:31 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

No problem being blunt.

I don't know yet how far behind we are or what it will take to catch up.
We are close if we create a target bug list in the next two weeks then
start daily triage and weekly test blitzes.

Quality is my primary concern, especially if you throw in a lot of new
code and potential process changes with Sugar.

Once we get building and testing, it will be a matter of code quality
and how quickly can we fix important bugs.

On the feature front, my main concern is security/activation/lease
management features. Point #2 here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#Top_Priority

Good progress on signing delegation and faster imaging. However, lease
management and image customization need some love. They are critical for
Ethiopia and Peru and others.

In short, we have a good chance to release with major new features in
March. We just need to pick up the pace and keep people focused.

In terms of the thread, Deepak said that a replacement for JFFS2 is not
in the plan for 9.1.0. I agree. It needs more work from a test/design
perspective and it needs better definition of the ROI (work effort vs
benefit).

The choice of file system isn't a deal breaker for the Fedora Desktop
feature. The hard part will be picking the right desktop (more on that
soon, I already love the dancing benchmark bears :-), making it fit on
the NAND, and testing it enough to prove its usable.

Thanks,

Greg S