packaging for native OLPC platform

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Jan 8 02:46:55 UTC 2009

Whenever I install a new build on my XO, I apply certain
customizations.  If the difference between the new build and the
previous one is small, I might instead 'update' the previous build
(which already has my customizations) with the proper individual
packages (rather than doing the whole install / customize deal).

The difference between the Joyride-2616 build and the Joyride-2617
build was two packages:  glibc & glibc-common.  Yet when I tried to
use 'yum' to fetch and apply these two packages to my Joyride-2616
system, 'yum' failed with the error "glibc-common <version being
replaced> is needed by glibc <version being replaced> (installed)."

Obviously, in this case 'yum' had failed to solve "dependency hell".

mikus