Fedora on XO - Lite

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Wed Jan 28 20:50:51 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

well, why his subject line? What some tend to call 'Fedora on XO' was
intended for the most recent G1G1 project, right?

Work has continued since then, based on jlaska's announcement of the
foundation of a XFCE team [1]. For example, a wiki page has been drafted
up here [2]. But the most important result might be in the GIT repo,
which contains the kickstart files [3].

Some unneeded hardware support has been dropped (e.g. for network cards,
as well as for graphics), though, there might be still some low hanging
fruits. The olpc-base.ks is heavily based on the fedora-live-base.ks,
but was trimmed down. On the other hand, we're including a XFCE desktop
environment with quite some applications in the olpc-xfce.ks file.

So why am I writing this post? I've been continuing to produce builds
for this, and it turned out, that the most recent image is just around
275 MB! Hey, that's pretty small, hu? ;)

But there are also some problems: For example, it turned out that with
the F10 updates enabled, there was just some image flickering and no
chance to login to the desktop. I'm not yet completely sure, what to
suspect: At first, I had SELinux in mind, but disabling it didn't change
a lot (just some warnings went away). Now I'm thinking about some X.org
drivers, but well...

Overall, when just creating the image just from the F10 distribution, it
works as expected, so there must be an update the cause.

Nevertheless, feedback (for example on what else to remove) or
suggestions regarding the selected apps are greatly appreciated. :)

--Sebastian

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-olpc-list/2008-October/msg00080.html
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/XFCE