FIltering out languages via kickstart

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:53:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 14:54 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> OLPC's earlier build system (based on Pilgrim) has the option to
>> specify a list of languages, and translations for all languages other
>> than the specified ones would be filtered out. Is there anything
>> equivalent in Kickstart ? I ask this because I have a patch for glibc
>> (based on a patch used in Ubuntu) which lets one specify (via a
>> configuration file) an alternate locale directory for updated
>> translations which can be installed later on (at the site of
>> deployment, for example). However, the current patch in its current
>> form will not work if there are pre-existing translations in
>> /usr/share/locale - so I was wondering if shipping a build without any
>> preexisting translation, and then using the customization key to
>> install the most up to date translations may be viable.
>
> Yes, we already specify which locales/languages we support:
>
> %packages --excludedocs --instLangs en:es:ar:pl:pt_BR:pt:it:fr:ht:el:mn:mr_IN:th:am_ET:km_KH:ne_NP:ur_PK:rw:ja:de:tr:te:ps:fa_AF:si

Superb...

> but I don't particularly like the idea of excluding them all and then
> forcing every deployment to run the customization stick on every laptop.
> We need to do better than that.

Well, we can have an initial set of language packs pre-installed
(taking the list from --instLangs). I am trying to set up a repository
with RPMs generated from Pootle (similar to what we have today, but
instead of self extracting archives, the packs will be RPMs). Does
that sound like a viable option ?
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--