livecd-iso-to-xo for XO-1.5

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Jun 4 17:16:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

   > 1. What should the root= kernel parameter be?

LABEL=OLPCRoot, unless there's a good reason not to use LABEL=.
We'll want to boot it from NAND (/dev/hda1), USB or SD.

   > 2. How would we distribute this to testers and developers?

Just as with rawhide-xo, I think.  I'll set up a cron job and URL
for this build.

   > The resultant file is 4gb, albeit sparse. Maybe rsync can handle
   > sparse files efficiently.

Or we could distribute it as a .bootable.gz, which is what I've been
doing for rawhide-xo.

   > 3. How do we use OFW to flash this, including a partition table
   > etc?

We can just run fdisk on the loop device first, I think?  Then, you
could flash it to NAND (the XO-1.5 NAND shows up as an IDE device)
with "zcat new.bootable.gz >/dev/hda", or to USB with >/dev/sdX.
Presumably OFW could be made to do something similar; I'm not sure
what "copy-nand" should look like for the 1.5, now that it's IDE.

Any problems with this?

Thanks,

- Chris.
--