jffs2 mounting problem

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Jun 4 19:16:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been digging into the "unknown filesystem type: jffs2" problem that
makes boot fail most of the time on XO-1.

First observation, this isn't the message that appears furthest down on
the screen, it's about halfway down. The one at the bottom of the screen
says "creating devices", making it appear like the hang has happened
there, but actually the screen is screwed up at this point and lines
being printed are appearing in something like this order:

5
6
7
8 unknown filesystem type jffs2
1
2
3
4 creating devices

I added some initrd debug messages and confirmed that jffs2 is not
loaded before the "mount" call is made. The mount procedure (on the
kernel side) is therefore responsible for loading the module.

Turning plymouth off (by commenting out the appropriate lines in the
initrd scripts) causes messages to appear on-screen in the right order
*and* seems to reliably work around the race bug.

At this point I'm having severe difficulty to boot this kernel to add
more diagnostics, even after a fresh reflash, even on a 2nd XO, due to
an even earlier hang problem (see my "another boot hang" thread).

Daniel