Package Honey Activities?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jun 3 21:52:12 UTC 2009

Hi Bryan,

On 3 Jun 2009, at 20:03, Bryan Kearney wrote:

> Hopefully this will not get in anyone spam folder.... Are we still
> trying to package honey activities for Fedora? I have an open-review
> for  paint.. and if the plan is to get them in I am happy to finish
> it. However, if the plan is to upgrade via .xo I am happy to close
> it out.

Thanks Bryan, this is such a good question! As an Activity Team co-co-
ordinator ;-) I'd so, so like to be able to have a clear message here
for both Activity authors and packagers of Sugar components. Packagers
have taken Sugar to so many distros in such a short time, and I know
little of the packagers real needs and distro politic, but it does
seem that both packagers and Activity authors are currently each doing
extra steps.

A). If all Activities were distributed as .xo bundles through the
Sugar platform (such as access to activities.sugarlabs.org), distro
packagers would only have to worry about keeping the core Sugar and
it's dependancies up-to date, not all the faster changing stuff.

B). If all Activities were distributed through distros, then Activity
authors would only need to worry about getting their source bundles to
distro packagers in the most friendly way. Sugar core would need some
distro agnostic or configurable user interface for yup/rpm/aptitude
installing/removing; but would not need to maintain code behind
something like activities.sugarlabs.org.

We have a foot on each side of this quagmire just now.

Regards,
--Gary