usb-creator = live F11 for the XO?

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 22:58:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Todd Robinson<todd at webpath.net> wrote:
> Although I didn't mention it in the article
> (http://on-disk.com/cms/index.php?wiki=Review-Fedora_11_page1) because I
> haven't had a chance to test it, the live usb-creator also creates the
> olpc.fth file in a boot directory on the USB flash drive.
>
> I'm hoping to get some time early this coming week to see if it creates a
> usable SD card for the OLPC using a USB SDHC card reader.

It worked for me under Windows a month ago with an 8GB SD card, so I
added it to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rawhide-XO

I also assume that the
http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh  script and some
combination of the instructions in
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux and
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation/OLPC would
work for F11 builds.

I think LiveUSB/livecd is a much better way to get a bootable flash
drive than the `zcat 20090217.bootable.gz > /dev/sdX` that
http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/rawhide-xo/ still recommends , which
* Leaves the following GBs of space on your card inaccessible.
* Degrades the flash device (see wmb comment on Rawhide-XO page).
* And if you get the device letter wrong, trashes your partition table
and turns your Windows NTFS partition into an unbootable mess that
TestDisk can read fine but any filesystem that pays attention to ACLs
thinks is inaccessible by every user in the known universe, thus
forcing you into Kubuntu full-time despite its quirks. [*]

--
=S Page

[*] Not that I'd be so stupid as to type the wrong letter or anything
like that 8-)