[OT] Test run of 2009/05/25 image

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:13:56 UTC 2009

>> Therefore I would rather have thought be given by those
>> working on the OLPC to how it can be made to 'stand out' from other small
>> systems, instead of thought being devoted to fit the OLPC into a "me too"
>> mold.  Let's not get sidetracked.

> You are asking the wrong questions. If you ask which is the biggest,
> fastest netbook, the XO isn't in it. If you ask which netbooks are
> designed for the target market, nothing but the XO is in it. We stand
> out far above the noise in our own niche.

The OLPC XO-1 is far and away the standout in small systems for kids.
I mean, my four-year-old saw it and said "Look - a computer for
children!". No other machine available matches the XO's
sunlight-readable screen and native mesh networking. None are as
rugged as the XO-1, nor as easy to repair, nor as inexpensive (with
the possible exception of the EeePC 701 which is lacking in the other
departments especially screen size).

However, there are indeed netbooks designed for the K-6 education 1:1
target market:

* The Intel Classmate series (Gen1/Gen2 "Clamshell" with 7" and 8.9"
screens, Gen3 "Convertible" with 8.9" swivel touchscreen). Usually
runs with locked-down Easybits Magic Desktop over Windows XP, however
Canonical has just announced Ubuntu Remix support for the series and
is with Intel and Microsoft in Miami today and Cairo next week
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-June/001489.html).
Intel licenses to local builders on favorable terms, who rebrand the
machines; there are two dozen such partners worldwide now, the latest
being Archos in France
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-June/001452.html).
Intel positions the Classmate for all markets and relies on the local
partners to find the sweet spot for governments and education
ministries. Microsoft follows Intel into local deals and tacks Office
on where it can.

* The Dell Latitude 2100 education netbook
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-May/001026.html),
with Ubuntu standard (WinXP optional) and backed by a specific
education support structure. Rollout is in the USA with a $4000
classroom rack charger/router which can update/backup the netbooks
while they are charging at night. The netbook has a tattletale LED bar
in the lid to inform teachers what's happening (student network
activity, or has completed a task - it's programmable).

Also, education solutions designed to leverage existing PC
infrastructure in school computer labs (slightly older student
positioning):

* NComputing (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-June/001243.html)

* Microsoft Multipoint
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-May/001169.html)

Finally, netbooks designed for the age group at home, with an emphasis
on parental controls and filters:

* The Disney Asus Netpal netbook
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-June/001486.html)
runs a locked-down kids' Disney-themed desktop over Windows XP and
will be widely distributed at Toys 'R' Us and the Disney Store.

I boot Sugar on a Stick on a Gen1 7" Classmate, a pair of Asus EeePCs,
an Acer Aspire One, a Dell Inspiron Mini 10, a Dell Latitude 2100
education netbook, and under VirtualBox, on a Mac Mini in fullscreen.

Sugar has the potential to leverage the hardware offers above, and
given the lack of interest by governments in an Windows XP-equipped XO
to date, could potentially displace Microsoft in the K-6 education
markets of developed countries too, which would be great for education
(and great for Fedora). In this space, it's Sugar versus Magic Desktop
and other proprietary products, and in my view Sugar is far superior.

Ideas I've encountered for non-education uses of XOs are usually NGOs
needing rugged hardware for e.g. surveying or medical applications.

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator