Announce: first bootable Rawhide build

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Mar 1 20:25:13 UTC 2009

> I still can't seem to get this to work on my XO.
>
> I have the latest firmware, the developer key on my USB stick
> in /security/develop.sig, I ran "disable-security" in Open Firmware, and
> I copied the image to the nand.
>
> I no longer get the frowny face, I can't get past "Loading ramdisk image
> from nand:\boot\initrd0.img ...".

I've been criticized for publishing 'opinions', not 'facts'.

It is my 'opinion' that I notice more frequently in 2009 than in
2008 that I sometimes can't get past "Loading ramdisk image from
nand:\boot\initrd0.img ...".  [To even see that message with the
latest firmware, one needs to press the 'check' button when booting
-- it is now my practice to *always* press 'check' when what I am
trying to boot is rawhide !]  I have a number of external devices
plugged into the USB ports on my XO -- when I see that message I'll
normally unplug something and then repeat trying to boot.

> Is this a symptom of the SD card support issues?

In addition to the 100-second timeout during XO boot for which
someone wrote a bugzilla.redhat ticket, I experience 40-100 second
delays each time I access the SD card on my XO from rawhide.  As a
result, instead of a "permanent SD card" (as on my other XOs, to
hold additional software and data) I now use a "permanent USB stick"
on the XO on which I run rawhide.

mikus