rsync'ing .iso

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 03:23:37 UTC 2009

On Sunday, March 01 2009, Tomeu Vizoso said:
> I see that some projects distribute xdelta3 files of their .iso files
> and others use rsync, but the .iso we generate with the fedora livecd
> tools don't compress almost anything by that. It's because we miss a
> switch like --rsyncable somewhere?

squashfs, unfortunately, isn't rsync friendly.  And since the live
images depend on squashfs to fit on a CD, there's not much we can do[1]

Jeremy

[1] Well, if someone wanted to work on support for making squashfs more
rsync friendly, they could -- but that'd need to be done upstream and
not in Fedora, per-se.  Also, there may be movement to lzma-based
compression for squashfs which may or may not help, but I haven't been
keeping up with squashfs developments recently