[Sugar-devel] SoaS on XO bootcharts

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Mar 4 16:08:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:19:08AM -0500, Wade Brainerd wrote:
> These charts are really interesting (and nice looking!).  The whole thing
> probably requires a lot of analysis to make real gains though.  I wonder
> what all those calls to 'cat' are in the first chart.

I think the first two charts are disasters because booting is quite
slow / contended due to the SD problem.  cat is being used by
bootchart to get as procfs (IIRC), which is why it goes away when
bootchart switches to use process accounting.

> I also wonder if it would be possible to defer network
> initialization until after the GUI comes up.

That's a fine idea.

>  Does anyone know if SoaS uses JFFS2 compression?

For the XO nand images, it does.

> Also, I finally got around to posting my initscripts.

Thanks very much.

> Regards,
> Wade

Martin