easy questions for Fedora gurus

Scott Douglass scott at swdouglass.com
Sun Mar 8 03:01:23 UTC 2009

1. when I install new kernel via yum update, do I need to rebuild the
initrd-*.img that came with that kernel in order for the /dev/root disk
label to be known? Right now, I can't boot any new kernel as the
"/dev/root" device specified in olpc.fth can not be found by the new
kernel.

2. how do I make the timezone stick? I;ve told the system that I'm using
America/New_York, but the system clock is always giving me the time in
GMT. The file /etc/syscofing/clock says that it's not used... and the
GUI version of system-config-date fails to run on my XO (it starts up,
policy kit asks me to authenticate, then it just vanishes...)

Thanks,

Scott