Blocker - rpm fails to install files

Scott Douglass scott at swdouglass.com
Sun Mar 8 09:54:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 03:36 -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> > I just tried to reproduce this on my non-XO laptop running today's
> > Rawhide, but can't.  So it doesn't seem like it's affecting everyone,
> > whatever it is.
>
> I re-installed 20090306, and 'rpm' now worked correctly.
>
> Note that the symptom of this 20090307 problem is that 'rpm' runs
> normally, and produces all the expected output messages.  But (for a
> package which was *not* previously in the system), while 'rpm -q -l'
> now lists all the files that were supposed to have been installed by
> that package -- doing 'ls' shows those files did *not* get inserted
> into the system.
>
> mikus

This is definitely a problem with rpm-4.7.0-beta1 that made it into
rawhide on March 6.

I downgraded in a messy fashion to 4.6.0 and RPM is working as expected.

It's messy because with RPM broken, many things are suddenly not easy!

Why this should only be affecting XOs, I have no idea, but here is my
fix (as I didn't want to reblast my NAND...)

1. extract all the files for the RPMS to a folder on some working
system:

> for RPM in ../rpm*4.6.0*.rpm; do \
>    echo $RPM \
>   rpm2cpio $RPM | cpio -miVd \
>  done

2. create a tarball of the resulting files

> tar cf ../rpm-4.6-files.tar *

3. scp the tarball over to the XO

4. extract the tarball on the XO

> cd /