easy questions for Fedora gurus

Scott Douglass scott at swdouglass.com
Sun Mar 8 15:39:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 23:13 -0500, pgf at laptop.org wrote:
> scott wrote:
>  > 2. how do I make the timezone stick? I;ve told the system that I'm using
>
> the magic file is /etc/localtime, which should be a copy of, or a
> symlink to, an appropriate timezone file from /usr/share/zoneinfo.
> i'd start my search there.
>
> paul
>
>  > America/New_York, but the system clock is always giving me the time in
>  > GMT. The file /etc/syscofing/clock says that it's not used... and the
>  > GUI version of system-config-date fails to run on my XO (it starts up,
>  > policy kit asks me to authenticate, then it just vanishes...)

Paul, thanks for the zone info! The file /etc/localtime was definitely
not the same file as /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York.

However, the ultimate solution was to use the "hwclock" command. I've
never had to use that in years of using RedHat/Fedora Linux because it
is invoked by ntpd,ntpdate, and tools for setting the system time.

Force the clock to accept it is not in Greenwich (might not be
necessary...):

> hwclock --localtime

Set the date and time to be correct local time using "date", then:

> hwclock --systohc

My clock is correct after re-booting, yeah!