pretty boot plymouth security

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Mar 8 16:20:08 UTC 2009

On 8 Mar 2009, at 15:07, Scott Douglass wrote:

> Two questions and a tip for newbies related to booting rawhide on the
> XO.
>
> Q1
> What is the status of "pretty boot" or plymouth in rawhide on XO? Is
> that supposed to work? It did work when booting F10 off SD card a
> while
> back.
>

> Q2
> A somewhat related question...
>
> I have just re-verified that I have disable-security'd my XO in the
> firmware (reports "No wp tag" which supposedly means no security
> enabled.) However, when I turn on my XO which has rawhide on the NAND,
> the XO doesn't appear to do anything. I just get the XO person in the
> middle of the screen.
>
> The only way I can boot is to hit the escape key and type "boot" at
> the
> "ok" prompt. I've been sort of just accepting this... but I'm starting
> to get a bit frustrated.
>
> Is there some trick to help the XO boot without my intervention?

I've been holding the tick game pad button at start-up for 'non-
pretty' boot mode. IIRC the DCON display freeze trick happens early
(to hide some non-user friendly firmware output), and should then be
being un-frozen once the pretty boot process gets going, which we
don't seem to have at the moment.

--Gary