[SoaS-2] Another Snapshot!

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Mar 14 03:07:54 UTC 2009

Hi Mikus,

On 14 Mar 2009, at 00:25, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>> there's another new - though, completely untested - snapshot of
>> soas-2
>> ready and waiting for you here:
>
> Why are there two separate "snapshots" of /Sugar on rawhide/
> (one on ~cjb/rawhide-xo and the other on soas/snapshots/2) ?
>
> Are two better than one ?

IIRC, the main distinctions are:

Rawhide-xo includes both Sugar and the GNOME desktop, and I understand
this is an intentional feature so more advanced users have a simple
option to get to a regular desktop, if desired. The focus is pushing/
testing as much hardware support as possible for the XO upstream.

Soas/snapshots/2 has only the Sugar desktop, and is being targeted for
as many HW types as possible and specifically as USB boot media.

Now, due to the wonder of open source, Soas is inheriting all the
great work the Fedora folks are putting in on the Rawhide-xo builds,
but XO hardware is not a primary focus for the Soas work – actually,
I've never had any Soas I've tried yet, boot on an XO, in any shape or
form; where as Rawhide-xo has been working surprisingly well on the
XO, (excluding non-existent power management).

Regards,
--Gary