Fedora Sugar Special Interest Group

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 18:41:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:27:12AM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

> >> Not sure what extra benefit this would add over a generic OLPC SIG.
> >> There's nothing stopping the sugar people using the fedora-olpc list
> >> and having wiki pages within the olpc sig. This would keep things
> >> closer together so that everyone knows what's going on.
> >>
> >> Peter
> >
> > Sure, I just came over the KDE sig page and found there packaging
> > instructions etc - and thought it would be good to have an entry point as
> > well.
> >
> > Is there an OLPC SIG namespace http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs ?
>
> There an OLPC space here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OLPC feel free
> to add sub pages etc to it, I should probably add a link to it from
> the SIG page as well.

Sorry I'm late on this reply.

When creating pages in the Fedora wiki, you want to use natural
language naming.  We don't have 'namespaces' in the way of
Some/Thing/Like/This.  Artificial nesting makes the information harder
to find for people who don't know the nesting structure.  Also,
CamelCaseNames are impossible to search -- MediaWiki doesn't pull a
string such as 'camel' or 'case' from that.

For more information on page naming:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure

For example, a page about Sugar packaging would be [[Sugar packaging
standards]].

In order to create information hierarchies, we use categories.  Thus,
a page [[Sugar packaging standards]] would have this at the bottom of
the markup to put them in categories:

[[Category:Sugar packaging]]
[[Category:OLPC packaging]]

Those categories can be sub-categories of e.g. [[Category:Sugar]] and
[[Category:OLPC]].  To do that, you put the [[Category:Foo]] link
inside of the category page [[Category:Foo packaging]], and it appears
as a sub-category.

Here is an example of a main parent category page with many
sub-categories:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Docs_Project

Please ask more questions if that is not clear.  You can get help for
the Fedora wiki on irc.freenode.net #fedora-docs or on
fedora-wiki at lists.fedoraproject.org.  You may find this page useful,
as it builds on standard MediaWiki guidelines for page editing:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Editing

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41