XO freeze

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sun Mar 29 00:20:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 07:05:22PM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> I've now had a number of times that my rawhide-xo 20090326 XO "froze".
> Two of those times were while I was using yum to try to (download and)
> install Java -- that makes me think that the XO is running out of memory
> (it only has 256K), causing the lock_up.

yum has always been very flaky for me on my XO.  If you search the
archives of devel at lists.laptop.org you'll see plenty of posts about
yum on the XO.  I see to remember one before my time on devel@ (or
perhaps it was on fedora-olpc?) that might have mentioned something
about how loading the depgraph into memory was oneof the culprits and
it wasn't liekly to be fixed soon.

I've always just used compcache and switched to runlevel 3 before I
use yum.  Much better than finding that some %post script has run out
of memory and then having to --force re-install each failed package
manually to get the post to run.

> mikus

Martin