fedora-xo 20090510 does not start X server

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon May 11 16:36:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

   > Chris, out of interest how is the NAND attached wrt to bus etc to
   > the rest of the system.

It speaks to our custom CaFE controller, via the "cafe_nand" kernel
module.

   > There's been some issues recently (mostly with usb I think) with
   > some of the fast boot features that have come from the Intel
   > Moblin patchset. I'm not sure whether this could be coming into
   > play or whether I have got completely the wrong end of the
   > stick.

The part that has me most confused is that the specific error
message we get from mount should only ever appear if jffs2 is not in
/proc/filesystems, which should only ever happen if the kernel module
wasn't loaded.  The kernel module obviously is loaded sometimes, since
boot works sometimes, but somehow not on the failing boots.  I wonder
what's responsible for loading it; whether it's the initrd scripts or
mount itself that calls modprobe jffs2.

   > http://lwn.net/Articles/330378/

Thanks for the link.  We should try passing rootdelay= in olpc.fth,
even though the problem doesn't seem too similar.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>