yum has problems with proxy

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed May 13 01:49:24 UTC 2009

On my XO, I am a heavy user of yum.  The communications setup at my
home goes through a proxy to reach the internet.  I have empirically
seen that when told to go from the XO to the net through a proxy,
'opera' handles "https:" URLs correctly, whereas 'yum' does not.

Package 'fedora-release-10.92' (included in rawhide-xo) set up one
yum control file ('fedora-rawhide.repo') with "https:" URLs.  I had
to go into that file and manually change those URLs to "http:" in
order for my XO to be able to use yum from home.  Now the upcoming
package 'fedora-release-11' sets up __all__ the yum control files
with "https:" URLs -- I now had to modify four .repo files to be
able to use yum in f11 on the XO when I'm at home.

mikus