OLPC's XO-1.5 software plan.

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat May 16 14:35:08 UTC 2009

To the best of my knowledge:

2009/5/16 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>:
> What are the plans with getting existing kernel patches upstream?

Deepak is working on it, and me and Chris agree that getting *all*
XO-1.5 kernel stuff upstream early on should be a sensible and
achievable goal. But time will tell, and it seems certain that we'll
be using a forked kernel tree during development.

> What is the status of rainbow within this? Of the difference between
> olpc-4 and mainline packages, patches to various packages for rainbow
> support are now by far the biggest part of the remaining difference.

We'll start without it, since thats how Fedora 11 will ship. It could
possibly be added later, based on time and other things... but if we
have to fork a lot of packages, that would be a significant vote
against it.

> Also for the initrd, is dracut of use in that regard? [1][2]

We discussed this already, and agreed in principle that it would be a
good target for upstreaming OLPC's antitheft stuff... but Chris was
loosely under the belief that dracut isn't being developed further. Is
that correct?

> Oh, and the other query I forgot to add was about moving to 802.11s for the mesh networking?

I haven't heard any plans along these lines.

Daniel