[SoaS] Important Schedule Changes - Please Read!

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Tue May 26 12:16:27 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

please read this carefully, as it concerns major schedule changes
regarding our upcoming Sugar on a Stick release in the end of June.

The original plan was have a Release Candidate based on F11 Final and
Sugar 0.84 at that time and a Final Version later in Q3. After serious
consideration, it looks way more sensible to do the following:

=> Omit the RC release and replace it with our Final Release!

This means that Sugar on a Stick is going be released in June, on
2009-06-24. Now, why? Well, there were quite some reasons:

* Fedora 11 will be released on June 2 and Sugar 0.84 has already had
it's release some time ago. By moving our final release later into the
year, we'd be either forced to use some outdated or unstable components,
as the next major Sugar version will be 0.86, which is targeted for
Fedora 12. We're preventing this by having our release now just a month
after F11's.

* It helps us a lot to get feedback from students over the summer break,
so that we're increasing the likelihood of gaining more users.

* Sugar on a Stick is rather stable right now - I'll outline this in a
separate e-mail!

The updated roadmap is located here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Roadmap

Package Maintainers will receive reminders to update their RPM packages
soonish! Again, please make sure to follow the deadlines. The last date
for changes is 2009-06-10. Afterwards, dev team's approval is required.

Please contact me with any concerns you may have - also off-list, if needed!

Best Regards,
--Sebastian Dziallas