Daily builds are no longer livecd images

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed May 27 20:22:13 UTC 2009

> > What does "no longer livecd images" mean ?
>
> On previous builds, changes to the root filesystem disappeared at
> reboot because the filesystem was refreshed from the same image
> every boot.  This no longer happens, so if you (for example):
>
> # touch /foo
> # touch /etc/bar
> # reboot
>
> The files will still be there after reboot.

I *still* do not understand why that should be so.

The only machines available for me to experiment with are XO-1s.
The above-described scenario does NOT work for me.

--------

I did the zcat 20090525.bootable.gz > /dev/sdf1 (USB stick).
That USB stick failed to boot on the XO.  The messages from OFW were
"Error: Unknown file system   Can't open disk label package"

Then I did the livecd-iso-to-disk.sh 20090525.iso > /dev/sdf1 (USB
stick).  That USB stick booted fine on the XO.  Made some changes to
the root filesystem, and rebooted.  After the XO had completed
rebooting (in the process, it reloaded its root filesystem from the
USB stick), the changes I had previously made were NOT there.

--------

I can understand how changes made to the "recording medium" will be
there after a reboot.  [For instance, if I boot from nand, then make
changes to the filesystem in memory (and the system writes those
changed memory pages back out to nand), then when I reboot (from
nand) the changes will still be there.]

But in the case of booting from an USB stick, I believe the system
does *not* write the contents of changed memory pages back out to
the USB stick.  When I reboot from that USB stick (particularly if
I've powered-down the system in the meantime), why would the changes
still be there ??

Thanks,  mikus