Hybrid live images considered harmful?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 2 10:58:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 09:50:59AM +0000, Martin Dengler wrote:
> One thing I can think of is that OFW won't be able to boot iso9660
> filesystems.

Why do you think that?  OFW has iso9660 support.  I've not needed to
boot, but I was quite able to list a directory of an iso9660 CD
connected via USB just now.  The boot sequence does spin up the CD and
read from it.  Isn't it just a matter of placing the correct
/boot/olpc.fth file in the filesystem?

If you mean OFW won't boot unedited conventional iso9660 CD images,
that's probably true ... but it won't boot unedited conventional USB or
IDE or SATA or SD either.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/