soasXO builds for USB?

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 14:16:02 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:

> From: Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
> Subject: Re: soasXO builds for USB?
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com
> Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 8:37 AM
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 05:19:21AM
> -0800, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 11/2/09, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
> size?
> > >
> > > No.  It should work if you untar it into the
> root of a
> > > ext3 USB stick,
> > > though, like:
> > >
> > > cd /media/myusbstick
> > > lzma -dc /path/to/soas04xo.tree.tar.lzma - | tar
> xf -
> >
> > This command actually will generate the
> ¨soas04xo.tree¨ folder at
> > the root of the USB stick.
> >
> > cd /media/stickname/soas04xo.tree
> > mv * ../
> > sync
> >
> > will give you a stick with the right folders and files
> but on boot I get:
> >
> > No filesystem available yet, can detect types: ext3
> ext2 ext4
> >
> > which repeats for ever.
> > Any ideas?
>
> You're seeing custom kernel patch to the "rootwait" option
> that prints
> out the filesystems it sees every five seconds until it
> finds the one
> specified by the "root=" kernel option.
>
> It probably can't mount your USB device to get at the root
> file
> system.  It could also be the "root=OLPCRoot" argument
> - could you try
> with "root=/dev/sda1" or something?

I think that can not mount the USB. When I forced /dev/dsa1 as root= option in the olpc.fth I get:
can not open root device sda1[...]
available partitions: mtdblock0 driver cafe NAND [...]
Kernel panic -not syncing [...]

I also  changed fstab from ext4 to ext3. No improvement.

Finally adding the initrd path to olpc.fth I got all the way to the ¨enter your name screen¨ !!
however both interal and external mouse/keyboards were non functional.
I guess this is related to the _HAL-daemon initialization failure_ that appeared during the boot sequence.

So to get up to here I have the following olpc.fth/fstab

/boot/olpc.fth:
\ olpc.fth

" root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext3 console=tty0 fbcon=font:SUN12x22 video=fb:1200x900 selinux=0" to boot-file
" u:\boot\initrd.img" to ramdisk
" u:\boot\vmlinuz" to boot-device
setup-smbios
unfreeze
dcon-unfreeze
visible
boot

/etc/fstab:
LABEL=OLPCRoot  / ext3 defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
devpts     /dev/pts  devpts  gid=5,mode=620   0 0
tmpfs      /dev/shm  tmpfs   defaults         0 0
proc       /proc     proc    defaults         0 0
sysfs      /sys      sysfs   defaults         0 0
/tmp            /tmp            tmpfs         rw          0 0
none            /ofw            promfs		  defaults    0 0

(my stick IS named OLPCRoot)

Is further than before but not quite there yet.
Any further ideas?
Is HAL failure related to any of these or is a different issue?