Why does Sugar mount removable volumes ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Nov 18 06:10:42 UTC 2009

I have the subdirectories for some Activities installed on my
"permanent" SD card (it's in the "external" slot of my XO-1.5).
Os42 is not mounting (at boot) my "permanent" SD card.  I
experimented with removing the SD card's entry from /etc/fstab.

The first time sugar came up (after boot), it did not show the
activities on my SD card in Home View - because that SD card was not
yet mounted at the time sugar started.  I did ctl-alt-erase to
restart sugar.  Now sugar came up *showing* those activities.

What I believe happened:  1) Because the system did not mount the SD
card, sugar the first time could not "link" to the activities on it.
  2) But sugar itself mounted all removable volumes accessible by
the machine, including my SD card.  3) So when sugar started the
second time, those activities could be "linked", and sugar showed them.

My question -- how come Sugar mounts *all* removable volumes ?

mikus