soasXO builds for USB?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 2 09:15:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:27:20AM +0000, Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 09:27:10PM -0800, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > Expanding their content in an ext3 formatted stick also failed boot.
>
> Actually that should work, since OFW doesn't need anything but
> /boot/olpc.fth to exist in the first partition (as long as that
> partition is readable by OFW, like ext3).  So I'm not sure what went
> wrong for you.

I've seen OFW fail to read an ext3 partition if the partition table is
unusual.  The failure is repeatable using "dir u:".

In my experience, a partition table created by Debian or Ubuntu cfdisk,
sfdisk or certain versions of fdisk may not work, but a table created by
parted "mklabel msdos" works every time.  I've never had problems with
partition tables from the USB device manufacturers.

I presume it is a flaw in cfdisk, sfdisk, or fdisk.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/