soasXO builds for USB?

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 13:19:21 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:

> From: Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
> Subject: Re: soasXO builds for USB?
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com
> Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 3:27 AM
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 09:27:10PM
> -0800, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > Thank you.
>
> > However I was referring to the
> > http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/2/ builds
> specifically
> > where you have only tree.tar.lzma versions.
>
> Ah yes.
>
> Sebastian, can you copy the 2/4g removable images from the
> buildslave
> as well?
>
> How about I add a "dist" target to the makefile that does
> this?
>
> > Trying these with the instructions mentioned bellow
> failed miserably
> > (tried soas01xo and soas02xo)
>
> As you pointed out, the instructions are for the
> *removable*.tar.lzma.
> Other files won't work with the verbatim instructions.
>
> > Expanding their content in an ext3 formatted stick
> also failed boot.
>
> Actually that should work, since OFW doesn't need anything
> but
> /boot/olpc.fth to exist in the first partition (as long as
> that
> partition is readable by OFW, like ext3).  So I'm not
> sure what went
> wrong for you.
>
> > I could try the newer soas04xo.tree.tar.lzma but pls
> specify
>
> > a) Is this a device images? If yes what size?
>
> No.  It should work if you untar it into the root of a
> ext3 USB stick,
> though, like:
>
> cd /media/myusbstick
> lzma -dc /path/to/soas04xo.tree.tar.lzma - | tar xf -

This command actually will generate the ¨soas04xo.tree¨ folder at the root of the USB stick.

cd /media/stickname/soas04xo.tree
mv * ../
sync

will give you a stick with the right folders and files but on boot I get:

No filesystem available yet, can detect types: ext3 ext2 ext4

which repeats for ever.
Any ideas?