soasXO builds for USB?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Nov 2 13:37:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 05:19:21AM -0800, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> --- On Mon, 11/2/09, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> > > a) Is this a device images? If yes what size?
> >
> > No.  It should work if you untar it into the root of a
> > ext3 USB stick,
> > though, like:
> >
> > cd /media/myusbstick
> > lzma -dc /path/to/soas04xo.tree.tar.lzma - | tar xf -
>
> This command actually will generate the ¨soas04xo.tree¨ folder at
> the root of the USB stick.
>
> cd /media/stickname/soas04xo.tree
> mv * ../
> sync
>
> will give you a stick with the right folders and files but on boot I get:
>
> No filesystem available yet, can detect types: ext3 ext2 ext4
>
> which repeats for ever.
> Any ideas?

You're seeing custom kernel patch to the "rootwait" option that prints
out the filesystems it sees every five seconds until it finds the one
specified by the "root=" kernel option.

It probably can't mount your USB device to get at the root file
system.  It could also be the "root=OLPCRoot" argument - could you try
with "root=/dev/sda1" or something?

It could also be that the initrd doesn't have the usb modules, or that
the initrd isn't being used.  Do you see OFW loading an initrd?

Thanks for testing this.  I wish I had more time to do it myself and
save you the trouble.

Martin