some os42 impressions

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Nov 18 05:01:11 UTC 2009

I've noticed "time-outs-from-the-game" with os40 that I had not
noticed before.  For instance, when I boot with the check game key,
the boot process simply stops for more than 50 seconds (just after a
message about rtc) before continuing.  Sometimes quite trivial
commands just stop for a noticeable number of seconds (garbage
collection?).  And once when I was editing in 'vi', it took about
two seconds between a keypress, and the character appearing on the
screen.

Also, shutdown seems to remove the directory from /media on which a
removable volume is mounted.  [Before os42, shutdown would remove
such a directory if it was created by automount, but *not* if it had
been manually created by the user.]  The effect is that my
"permanent" SD card is no longer being mounted when I boot, even
though I have an entry for it in /etc/fstab

mikus