some os9 impressions-smoke test

Steven M. Parrish smparrish at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:42:50 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 18:55:03 Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> --- On Tue, 11/24/09, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Let's keep an eye open for these in XO-1.5 builds too. I
> > think all these
> > bugs are present there as well.
>
> Tried an extensive “smoke test” with os9.
>
> Connected to MAC filter WEP WiFi. OK.
> Auto reconnect on reboot. OK
> Auto-updates. Fount measure from v21 to v27
> Terminal is missing. The Browse activity points to the old OLPC repository.
>  Downloaded Terminal v19 from there. Edited fstab to add swap on an SDcard.
>  Reboot OK.
> Did yum update. Installed: kernel i586
>  2.6.31_xo1-20091123.2004.1.olpc.cf78794. Updated: kernel-firmware  i586
>  2.6.31_xo1-20091123.2004.1.olpc.cf78794,  bitfrosti5861.0.4-1.fc11, etoys
>  noarch  4.0.2332-2.fc11, sugar-toolkit    i586 0.84.5-1.fc11.2 and sugar
>  i586    0.84.7-1.fc11.6.
>
> Reboot. Control panel still shows “Sugar:0.84.2“
>
> Installed mc, yumex.
> Then I went to activities.sugarlabs.org and downloaded almost everything
>  but the GCompris. Specifically: Terminal v30, Measure 29, Read Extras 17,
>  Cartoon builder 6, View slides 10, Finance 2, Info Slicer 10, Flip Sticks
>  3, WirelessGraph 7, Jukebox 13, Colors 15,  Slider Puzzle 8, Jigsaw Puzzle
>  7, Bounce 7, Story Builder 15, Poll 22, Joke Machine 10, Develop 39,
>  Socialcalc 1, Play Go 6, Tux Paint 3, Clock 5, Library 1, Get IA Books 3,
>  xoEditor 2, Arithmetic 1, Watch Me 2, Listen and Spell 2, Block Party 7,
>  Scribe 2, Stackattack 60801, Breakout 60801, Card Sort 4, Eat Boom 2,
>  Sliderule 5, Domino 7, Kaleidoscope 12, Deducto 4, Color Deducto 4,
>  falabracman 1, Hop-a-Round 2, Gonozco Uruguay 7, XO help 1, Micropolis 8
>  and FoodForce2 1.
>
> Reboot start testing
>
> -- The Good News --
> Most of the activities work!
> Measure 29 is now OK!
> Record now records and keeps sound files.
>
> -- The Bad (old) News --
> Battery monitor, Camera, and Pippy still do not work.
>
> -- The Bad (new) News --
> XOHelp does not start
> Sliderule starts and quits immediately after it gets the application screen
> Listen and spell does not speak. Beeps ok but no voice.
> Talking clock in Clock 5 does not talk
> Finance 2 “keep error” a breaker for this activity. No log entry either
> Kaleidoscope, Breakout, StackAttack crash when they has a journal entry (on
>  relaunch). First time or with Journal entries cleared are OK. Nothing in
>  the logs other than a 3rd line with the journal object id. Arithmetic also
>  crashes when it has a journal entry (on relaunch). First time or with
>  Journal entries cleared is OK I guess I’ll be filling bugs
>
> -- Minor Problems --
> Typing quote (“) in Write you loose the cursor and yo can not type anymore!
>  You must reposition and click in order to keep typing Gonozco, Hop-a
>  Round, Deducto, Color Deducto, do not save the games Stop button must  be
> [...]

Thanks for the testing it is appreciated.  I will start checking into these
issues and try and get a corrected build out sometime over the holiday
weekend.

 Steven M. Parrish
 gpg fingerprint: 4B6C 8357 059E B7ED 8095 0FD6 1F4B EDA0 A9A6 13C0
 http://tuxbrewr.fedorapeople.org/
 irc.freenode.net:
Nickname: SMParrish
Channels: #fedora-kde, #fedora-olpc, #sugar, #fedora-devel, #packagekit