camera fail

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 19:30:49 UTC 2009

I know this is not a question for this list but since most of the people have something to do with XO-1 are here, I will.

In an XO-1 self set I get:
camera pc at 2
self test failed return code=-1

Indeed the camera light comes on but no image either in OFW or under linux. Reseted the EC and reinstalled firmware q2e41. No change.

Of course it could be just a hardware failure :(
But what intrigues me is that I noticed the failure just after I had booted from the DScard (Ubuntu) and was unpacking an initrd.gz (cpio -i). I got the usual permission denied in dev/device creation step and then went on.
Rebooting after that to f11/os7 from the NAND it failed at the loading the initrd.img step. This triggered the hardware test, where the camera problem was detected.
Everything else was OK,however booting kept failing.
Removing the SDcard allowed booting from the NAND!
After disassembling the XO to see for any obvious problems, reassembling, flashing the FW etc. it boots OK from the NAND and the SDcard but no camera.

Since I think that I remember having seen somewhere that the SDslot and the camera are somehow related, I'm hopping that the camera problem might be a software/firmware problem that could be fixed.

I would be grateful for any suggestions

If not, I guess I will not be testing camera function when is finally working in F11-XO1... (That's the connection with this list :-)