New F11 for XO-1.5 build 32 [#9457]

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 22 18:23:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 13:26 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> This appears to be #9457, so I've adjusted the subject line slightly.
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:53:53PM -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:

> > > Not *quite* sure what you are after, but bootpath is in
> > > ofw/core/bootparm.fth
> >
> > I've been playing around booting my XO with and without an external SD
> > card. If I boot the external card, the internal on get mounted as /
> > based on root=/dev/mmcblk0p2. While /ofw/chosen/bootpath recalls which
> > device used as the source for the olpc.fth file.
>
> Could you have a read of #9457 in case what you have discovered is fully
> covered by that bug?  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9457

Yea, think that about covers it... The only thing I have not tried is to
disable the internal mmc card. I thought there are udev rules in place
to keep the slot naming consistent.

> > I was thinking that if we could parse bootpath, kind of like
> > livecd-to-disk does with this...
> >
> > just with a different strings to tell the difference between the
> > internal and external SD cards.
>
> I'm not sure how that would work, sorry.  It seems the issue is also
> that the kernel chooses a name unpredictably.  Have a look at the
> discussion on #9457.

I've updated http://members.shaw.ca/jvonau/pub/olpc.fth

I have this running here, installed on both the internal and external
mmc cards, both work as expected. Now the question is, are production XO
going to have an internal mmc card when shipped? I have not tested this
with the internal mmc card disabled, I really don't want to open up the
XO. If someone else is brave enough to test that for me that would be
great.

Jerry