os33 - video regression ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Oct 27 02:42:10 UTC 2009

James wrote:
> I'm curious to know if it was the change in #9538 that caused the
> regression.  Could you temporarily change the display depth back to
> what it was and see if that restores the original behaviour?

I'd love to.  But I don't know how to do that.

Changing the 'Depth' in "Screen" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf did not cause
the "playing movies locks the system" problem to go away.

> General comment on the typical "have you logged this?" response we tend
> to get ...  I've no trouble with hearing from people who have taken the
> time to write about their experiences with an XO ... if they don't have
> the time to log a ticket and engage in the formal process, that's their
> decision.  If other readers here don't attempt to reproduce and create a
> ticket, then they mustn't think it is important enough to fix.  ;-)

 From my point of view, the hang has already been logged as #9407.

I think poor "moving pictures" is __the__ problem with the XO-1.5.
Therefore I'm willing to put effort into documenting that which is
happening (and into testing fixes, if someone were kind enough to
give me something I can try).

But this is a hang - which leaves the XO-1.5 completely unresponsive
to operator input (except for the power button).  So I do not have
my normal opportunity to capture file contents, etc.  They are wiped
out by the reboot I perform to access the system again.

I think Martin mentioned he was able to get in to the hung system
with SSH.  I have basically never used SSH -- so I would have to do
a lot of learning before I could use that to obtain better
information than I have now (I wrote all I knew in my post).

mikus