Getting a SoaS Docs Effort off the Ground

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 01:18:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:29:51PM +0200, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> From looking at the currently available documentation for Sugar on a
> Stick, I think it makes sense to collaborate on writing well written
> official instructions for it. So I've entered a Blueprint in Launchpad
> on it: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/soas/+spec/better-docs-for-soas
>
> I'd like to give the great Fedora Publican tool a try, as it has
> recently seen a new beta release. I have set up a new GIT repo in
> Gitorious, which lives here: http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/soas-docs
>
> So if you're interested in writing the next generation of totally
> awesomeness-spreading SoaS docs, please speak up! :) ...you can even add
> yourself already to the Launchpad page and apply for commit access to
> the GIT repo, too.

Not to throw yet-another-tool out there, but have you looked at
FLOSSManuals.net?  There is an existing culture of using this tool for
Sugar/OLPC docs, so you can make it easier for those folks to
participate.  Remixing content is possibly easier, too.

Our experience in Fedora Docs is that you get 10x to 20x more
participants if you use a wiki-like tool than DocBook XML (that hasn't
had a viable wysiwyg editor.)

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41