New SoaS build soas68

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Sep 26 17:54:31 UTC 2009

Did livecd-iso-to-disk with soas68xo.iso to USB stick, then tried to
boot my XO-1.  Got no further than booting with soas68xo.img.  No X.

[Creating the USB stick (I don't have Fedora) seemed to take much
longer than what I remember from doing it with previous builds.]

> Also, using soas68xo.img and 'sudo ./livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --format
> --xo --xo-no-home soas68xo.iso /dev/sda1' in a Fedora 11 machine
> results in a stick that will go through the fedora progress bars
> all the way and freeze there, with no console access.

If one then presses <esc>, one is shown a text console with:
   /sbin/dmsquash-live-root: 166: grep: not found
   dracut Warning: Machine in enforcing mode and cannot execute
     load-policy.
   dracut Warning: To disable selinux, add selinux=0 to the kernel
     command line.
   dracut Warning: Not continuing

So I added selinux-0 to the kernel command line, and tried booting.
This time the fedora progress bars eventually go to town.  Pressing
<esc> shows the end of the boot-process bring-up, and eventually a
screen with a "plaza pavement" background and a login window in the
center saying "Automatically logging in ...".  Nothing more happens
(I waited half an hour, just in case it was installing Activities,
or something).  [This time the bottom edge of the screen (in
addition to allowing "Language" and "Keyboard" selection and some
icons) includes an icon that shows the messages-during-boot - but
nothing on the bottom edge helps start the user's X session.]

X is stuck.  [Nothing that looks wrong in /var/log.]

> This is the SoaS-on-XO-1 build announcement

I can get into a text console (alt-ctl-F2) -- but for me, trying to
run from soas68xo.iso on an XO-1 is a failure.

mikus