New SoaS [XO-1] build soas70

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 30 08:31:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:01:01AM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> soas71xo.2gremovable: olpcrd.img symlink is missing from the /boot
> folder

This is by design.  The initrd olpc.fth asks for is
/boot/initrd.img. olpcrd.img has not been used for a long time, and
initrd.img is not necessary to boot the included kernel on the XO-1.

> [...] resulting in kernel panic

There should be no kernel panic due to a missing initrd.img.  Are you
really trying to boot from the removable image?  Its olpc.fth looks
fine to me.

Perhaps you could try to manually boot from the removable device:

1) Power on the XO-1 with the SD card in it
2) Press Esc to get to the OFW prompt
3) Check the SD card looks ok with "dir sd:\boot"
4) Boot from the SD card with these OFW commands:

" ro root=LABEL=OLPCRoot rootwait" to boot-file
" sd:\boot\vmlinuz" to boot-device
setup-smbios
boot

What happens then?  Do you see the green and blue "sugarlabs" logo
when the kernel messages appear?

If you see a kernel panic about "can't find root device", try with
this boot-file:

" ro root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait" to boot-file
[all the other commands the same]

> I  guess the init script is still coming from wild-type SoaS?

olpc.fth should be suitable for both removable images, but I've not
tested the "root=OLPCRoot" kernel command line behaviour as much as
I'd like.

> More latter when I'll have the chance (unless soas72xo appears :-)

Thanks for your time and the testing results.

Martin