New SoaS [XO-1] build soas70

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 30 20:55:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 01:23:18PM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> --- On Wed, 9/30/09, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:06:11PM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis
> > wrote:
>
> > > The included olpc.fth in the vergin stick _does_ point to
> > initrd.img > and the OFW complains that can not open the boot
> > devise and stops > there. (more below)
> >
> > Careful, some people are going to take your words literally :).
> > It clearly doesn't stop there (you had me worried) from what you
> > said below.
>
> With the original olpc.fth it _does_ stop there. Never get to
> console.

Hmm, odd.  I finally just tested a USB stick with that olpc.fth and it
booted the kernelfine (failed where you areseeing the failure,
but...).  Can you remove the "boot" line from the "virgin" olpc.fth
and let me know what

printenv boot-device
printenv boot-file
printenv ramdisk

...show?

> > > So certainly will not boot with just the kernel in this setting.
> >
> > Yeah - though precisely one should say that the kernel _is_
> > booting, it's just not finding the root device.

Ok, I realised the problem.  USB storage is modular in the kernel, SD
(SCSI) is not.  So the initrd is required for USB-stick root devices
and not for SD-based root devices.

The reason I had to remove the initrd was due to a problem with dracut
and NAND-root-devices, so perhaps I can find a better workaround (like
build USB storage into the kernel, or not setting the OFW ramdisk
variable when NAND provides the root device) or just teach dracut
about root=mtd0 root devices.

In the meantime, sorry for not remembering this earlier.  I should
have a fix soon.

Martin