yum not accessing repository when running F12-on-XO1

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:27:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Mikus Grinbergs<mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> I'm going to assume my F12-on-XO1 yum problem was non-reproducible.
>
> I did a 'yum clean all', plus manually going into /var and removing things
> whose names started with "yum".  After that, I was able to use the customary
> 'yum' commands with F12-on-XO1.

I've not seen any issues. You probably shouldn't remove all yum
directories within /var/. A 'yum clean all' is all I've ever needed to
do. The only directory you might wish to clean up is /var/cache/yum.

>> Is it trying to connect to the same mirror each time.
>> It could be issues with a particular mirror.
>
> Your answer is what motivated me to try to start over with a "clean slate".
>
> The catch is - I had no information whatever about what mirror it was trying
> to contact - no output from yum except for "could not retrieve".  In my
> experience, when there is a problem with a mirror, yum eventually outputs a
> line identifying the mirror - nothing like that occurred here.  [I suppose I
> could have captured whatever packets it tried to send, and tried to figure
> out what it was doing by looking at their content - but that's a *lot* of
> effort.]

I normally get the following:
[root at neo ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
Determining fastest mirrors
fedora/metalink

                                          |  28 kB     00:00
fedora-debuginfo/metalink

                                          |  21 kB     00:00
updates/metalink

                                          |  14 kB     00:00
updates-debuginfo/metalink

                                          | 8.1 kB     00:00
updates-testing/metalink

                                          | 7.9 kB     00:00
updates-testing-debuginfo/metalink

                                          | 6.6 kB     00:00
 * fedora: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net
 * fedora-debuginfo: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net
 * rpmfusion-free: download1.rpmfusion.org
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org
 * rpmfusion-free-updates-testing: download1.rpmfusion.org
 * updates: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net
 * updates-debuginfo: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net
 * updates-testing: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net
 * updates-testing-debuginfo: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net

But that might be from the fastest mirror's plugin I use. 'yum install
yum-plugin-fastestmirror' -> I highly recommend it.

> [ I looked in /etc/yum.repos.d/ - but the entries there specify values such
> as $releasever - so I don't even know which *list* of mirrors it was trying
> to use (typing 'echo $releasever' showed me blanks).  And looking at
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org with a browser showed me human-readable
> lists rather than what I imagined yum would be using. ]

$releasever is the Fedora release and its a variable inside rpm/yum so
you'll never get anything from the command line.

The bit your interested in is:
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch

The baseurl option (commented out in a default install) only
references a single site ever (not recommended) the mirrorlist option
tells yum to retrieve a list of mirrors from the URL.

>> Generally there's no issues with the Fedora 12 repos at the moment.
>
> Again, I don't know if there is an issue at the Fedora end (i.e., "what is
> there"), or in how my end is asking (this was with build soas-2-beta) - but
> many many of the things I try to fetch with yum on F12-on-XO1 tell me "no
> package xxx available - nothing to do". With F11-on-XO1, such packages
> (vsftpd) *are* in the Fedora repos.

I have no idea how the repos in SoaS-2 are configured but there is no
problem with Fedora repo's at the moment. SoaS-2 should be just using
default Fedora repos.

Peter