Fedora 10 unable to boot after updating XO-1 to 8.2.0

Todd Robinson todd at webpath.net
Wed Sep 9 15:28:04 UTC 2009

As some of you may know, we (On-Disk.com) do the Fedora 10 SD cards
which are currently available for the XO-1, but which we will need to
discontinue.

Currently the Fedora 10 SD cards no longer work after updating to 8.2.0
(OpenFirmware CL1 Q2E41 Q2E).  When inserting the SD card it acts as if
it's not inserted, except that it also doesn't attempt to boot Sugar. I
suspect the olpc.fth is used a bit differently with the newer firmware
version.

For informational purposes, the Fedora 10 SD cards work fine under older
XO-1 firmware. The XOs also boot Xtra Ordinary fine after updating to
8.2.0 but do not work with older firmware versions. (see:
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/881 - should be an
article tomorrow at OLPC News).

I would love to be able to offer a Fedora 11 option, but from tracking
this list there doesn't seem to be a version ready for public
consumption (please correct me if I'm wrong). So this gives me three
choices:
1. discontinue offering Fedora 10 on SD cards for the XO-1 and rely upon
non-fedora XO options such as Xtra Ordinary and DebXO which run fine
with the newer 8.2.0 os/firmware.
2. Continue to offer it, but warn that it must be used with older
Firmware versions. (I would actually rather just discontinue it)
3. Find a fix to allow F10 to boot on the newer os/firmware.

Any advice or work-arounds anyone may have would be very much
appreciated. I'll append the Fedora 10 /boot/olpc.fth in case it's helpful.

Thank you,
Todd

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

\ Boot script for USB boot
hex  rom-pa fffc7 + 4 $number drop  h# 2e19 < [if]
  patch 2drop erase claim-params
  : high-ramdisk  ( -- )
     cv-load-ramdisk
     h# 22c +lp l@ 1+   memory-limit  umin  /ramdisk - ffff.f000 and (
new-ramdisk-adr )
     ramdisk-adr over  /ramdisk move                    ( new-ramdisk-adr )
     to ramdisk-adr
  ;
  ' high-ramdisk to load-ramdisk
[then]

: set-bootpath-dev  ( -- )
   " /chosen" find-package  if                       ( phandle )
      " bootpath" rot  get-package-property  0=  if  ( propval$ )
         get-encoded-string                          ( bootpath$ )
         [char] \ left-parse-string  2nip            ( dn$ )
         dn-buf place                                ( )
      then
   then

   " /sd"  dn-buf  count  sindex  0>=   if
          " sd:"
   else
          " u:"
   then
   " BOOTPATHDEV" $set-macro
;

set-bootpath-dev
"  root=UUID=4C67-D0F1 rootfstype=vfat rw liveimg overlay=UUID=4C67-D0F1
quiet  rhgb  persistenthome=mtd0 reset_overlay" to boot-file
" ${BOOTPATHDEV}\syslinux\initrd0.img" expand$ to ramdisk
" ${BOOTPATHDEV}\syslinux\vmlinuz0" expand$ to boot-device
unfreeze
boot