Fedora 10 unable to boot after updating XO-1 to 8.2.0

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Sep 10 03:16:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 11:28:04AM -0400, Todd Robinson wrote:
> As some of you may know, we (On-Disk.com) do the Fedora 10 SD cards
> which are currently available for the XO-1, but which we will need
> to discontinue.
>
> Currently the Fedora 10 SD cards no longer work after updating to
> 8.2.0 (OpenFirmware CL1 Q2E41 Q2E).  When inserting the SD card it
> acts as if it's not inserted

... you mean at this point that OpenFirmware doesn't read the
/boot/olpc.fth on your SD card, right?  You've tried changing it to emit
test characters or something?

> except that it also doesn't attempt to boot Sugar.

... you mean at this point that OpenFirmware also does not proceed to
boot from the NAND flash, right?

> I suspect the olpc.fth is used a bit differently with
> the newer firmware version.

I've reviewed your script.  The first line does not contain the key text
that DebXO uses:

	\ OLPC boot script

The second last line uses unfreeze instead of dcon-unfreeze.

There's some strange thing done to change the loading of the initrd,
using constants that aren't defined, so I don't know what that code you
have is trying to do.

However, I've checked, and the code between the [if] and [then] does not
trigger on Q2E41b.

My guess is that you haven't tracked the changes in OpenFirmware
correctly, or that the wrong first line text is used, or the unfreeze
should be dcon-unfreeze.

Lastly, check the line containing "root=UUID=4C67-D0F1", as it appears
to have wrapped in your e-mail.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/