Fedora 11 + Sugar + TamTam

DancesWithCars danceswithcars at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:23:08 UTC 2009

Sugar is more like an X desktop environment,
so you would have to add another kernel/ iso
to make it worth doing a virtual machine, kvm,
qemu, virtualbox or whatever,

Having multiple desktop environments is
a bit of the issue, afaict.

I'm running 64 bit Fedora Core 11 now,
and have a vanilla sugar desktop from the
yum repos (mentioned elsewhere on this thread)
and a jhbuild later version, which I compile
and run with jhbuild run (or similar, think there
is a sugar- before it) when I want the latest
that is not yet packaged for fedora.

sound works, probably thru pulseaudio
though most of the sound on olpc
is done with csound, afaict.

It would be nice to run 64 bit
and run a little 32 bit image in virtual,
but I've found the virtual environments
not a good, resource intensive etc,
so unless you are hacking the kernel
and don't want to reboot so much,
virtualization is a bit of overkill, imo.

hope that clears a little bit up.
but just what I know and more
people on the list probably know
lots more..

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:
> People,
>
> Sorry - I should have changed the Subject on the previously sent mail . .
>
> I have been interested in the OLPC project for some time but only decided to
> try and install the Fedora Sugar desktop when I came across a mention of the
> TamTam application (for creating music).  After a bit of messing around I
> got the Sugar desktop to start (on Fedora 11) but I don't get any sound and
> TamTam is supposed to be already installed but I don't see it . .
> suggestions?
>
> Also, I will probably update to a 64bit machine with a Fedora 12 beta - I
> presume Sugar would work in KVM virtual machine?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
> --
> Philip Rhoades