soas70xo impressions

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Sep 29 14:14:34 UTC 2009

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help;  I'm sharing my experiences.

Ran with soas70xo (booted from nand) on my XO-1.  Many of the
difficulties with previous SoaS builds were still present, with some
new ones added.

The "X crash" scrolling problem is a BLOCKER - for instance, because
of this problem I cannot change the Jabber server specification.

Speak did not produce any sound.  [It did not even attempt to wiggle
its mouth until I in Frame "unmuted" the volume.]  Record did not
launch.  Browse came up with its display window size significantly
exceeding the physical size of the XO screen.
'rpm -q kernel' attests to sloppy composing of the build.

With now more exposure to it, I still do not like the new toolbar
design.  The XO has a *small* display screen.  Now many Activity
capabilities (such as 'Edit' in Terminal) can only be invoked from a
secondary toolbar that drops down from the primary toolbar.  The two
toolbars together take up a significant amount of XO screen real
estate.  And each time the secondary toolbar needs to be shown or
hidden, it takes one *extra* click (after me having to move the
cursor off the part of the screen that I was doing my work on).

I notice that now Sugar 0.86 has been "upstreamed" into Rawhide.
I suspect that some Activities still need changing to fit 0.86.

mikus