New SoaS [XO-1] build soas70

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 30 19:59:08 UTC 2009

Yioryos,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:06:11PM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:

> > The lack of the initrd.img file in the specified location will
> > cause OFW to print an error message, and then carry on giving
> > control to the linux kernel.  So unless the kernel needs the
> > initrd (in the case, it doesn't), you don't have to worry about
> > it.
>
> I repeated the process form scratch.

Thanks.

> The included olpc.fth in the vergin stick _does_ point to initrd.img
> and the OFW complains that can not open the boot devise and stops
> there. (more below)

Careful, some people are going to take your words literally :).  It
clearly doesn't stop there (you had me worried) from what you said
below.

> > Then it'd be good to observe what happens. Do you see the green
> > and blue "sugarlabs" logo when the kernel messages appear?
>
> I made a new olpc.fth file with just these 4 lines after a "\ boot script" line on the top.
> It does go through the kernel loading with the SL logo on the top and then freezes at: Waiting for root devise LABEL=OLPCRoot...

Ok, thanks this is useful - I wonder what's wrong with the label-based
root device detection.

> Changing to
> " ro root=/dev/dsa1 rootwait" to boot-file
> in case their is label conflict with the NAND which has F11-XO1/os7,
> results in a freeze at: Waiting for root devise /dev/dsa1

It's not /dev/dsa1 but /dev/sda1 .  Or is that just a double typo in
your email?

> Just to verify that the the stick shows up as "OLPCRoot" on any
> Linux OS including Sugar and it is /dev/sda1 when booting the XO
> from the NAND or an SD card.

I wonder if the USB device is detected as something else...if you boot
from the NAND and plug in the USB device with the soas71xo filesystem
on it, what device node (e.g., /dev/sda1) does its partition show up
as?

We really should be using the same root-device-specification as
livecd-iso-to-disk uses, which would be pretty unambiguous.  I'll
look into that.

> It is ext2 formatted and I did erase the stick just before 'cating'
> the soas71xo file into it.

Ok, though you don't need to erase the stick first - "cat'ing" the
file includes a partition table and filesystem superblocks, so
whatever bits are left on the device aren't going to be known as files
or anything afterwards.

> So certainly will not boot with just the kernel in this setting.

Yeah - though precisely one should say that the kernel _is_ booting,
it's just not finding the root device.

Martin