[Fedora-packaging] perl module MODULE_COMPAT

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 01:19:20 UTC 2005

Warren Togami wrote:
> Since then however perl has not broken ABI (?), so it seems that we have
> this seemingly overcomplicated construct.  But if we do break ABI again
> like in FC5 because we recompile the same version of FC4 perl with some
> new flag, MODULE_COMPAT can enforce exact deps and prevent incompatible
> FC4 packages from being installed on FC5.

[root at fedora64 perl5]# ls
5.8.0  5.8.1  5.8.2  5.8.3  5.8.4  5.8.5  5.8.6  site_perl  vendor_perl
[root at fedora64 perl5]# pwd
/usr/lib64/perl5

Hmm, FC4 still continues to have symlinks going back to 5.8.0 (RHEL3).
I think this is a mistake.  We haven't maintained ABI compat that long
right?

Dirs should have been removed when they are known to be incompatible.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com